Reaching a financial settlement is always a cause of considerable concern to anybody experiencing the breakdown of a relationship. At Linnitts Solicitors we have a great deal of experience in negotiating highly successful financial settlements for our clients.
We are accustomed to dealing with clients with complex financial affairs. Our main concern is to ensure that robust negotiations are carried out, but that the proceedings are not unduly drawn out. If you have children, their welfare will be a very important consideration in the financial settlement.
We can provide specialist advice on the following:
- Divorce settlements
- Division of assets
- Family businesses
- Inheritance claims
- Freezing assets
- Farming divorces
- Military / Armed Forces divorces
Resolving Financial Disputes
All financial settlements should follow the same course:
- Each party discloses their financial circumstances to the other;
- The parties agree the value of the matrimonial and other assets as well as pensions;
- The parties agree the amount of matrimonial and other liabilities;
- Negotiations commence as to the division of income, assets and pensions;
- If an agreement is reached it is incorporated into a formal document, eg a Consent Order or Separation Agreement and neither party should have to attend court;
- If an agreement cannot be reached court proceedings may be issued by either party and the court process will be followed until an agreement is reached or the Judge makes a final decision. The court will take into account various factors when making its final decision.